Vanilla DAL is a data access framework on top of ADO.NET. It aims to simplify the developer's job when accessing relational database systems by providing the following functionality:
- Structured organization of SQL statements within XML-files (as opposed to the way Visual Studio's query builder generates SQL code).
- Convenience implementations for recurring tasks.
- Wrapping database-specific components, hence laying the groundwork for database independence.
- Object-relational mapping of typed datasets and database tables.
- Automated optimistic locking facility.
- A simple mechanism for propagating transaction context through data access methods.
So far all I have is this idea, and about one to two hours of spare time during weekdays for pursuing the project. My baby-son goes to bed around 8pm, so afterwards I can get going - I have done a lot of tech research during the night lately, but it's starting to be a little bit tiring, and want to get my hands on coding some stuff that grabbed my interest for quite a while already.
More on Vanilla DAL during the next weeks...