Friday, June 16, 2006

Ruby On Rails

If you are developing web applications under J2EE just like me, and also grew increasingly curious about all that hype around Ruby on Rails lately, you might want to have a look at the screencasts available at rubyonrails.org. Having watched some of the presentations, it's certainly too early to draw any conclusions yet. All I can say is that Ruby on Rails looks like an extremely productive environment. Hacking prototypes that way seems like a very natural thing to do. On the other hand, there is a lot of magic going on. And I don't like magic, at least not too much of it. I am also one of those old-fashioned developers who prefer to pass their code through a compiler before running it. Still, I will definitely take a closer look on Ruby on Rails as soon as my schedule allows me to.