Thursday, October 26, 2006

Java Vs. .NET Performance

As a sidenote, I just ported yesterday's Sudoku Solver to C#, ran the same stack of puzzles, and compared execution times. Here is the result:

PlatformExecution Time (for several thousand valid solutions)
Java (JDK 1.4.2)680ms
C# (.NET 1.1)790ms
C# (.NET 1.1) after NGEN390ms


What I did here was to feed the solver with a sparsely populated puzzle that has thousands of valid solutions, and measure the time of execution to find all the solutions in a brute-force manner. Just finding one solution would be beyond the scale of time measurement.

Right now I am working on a C++ port, so this will be another interesting comparison (my C++ coding is slower than it used to be, since I have not written a single line of C++ over the last two years).